Bitchy Actress

New York, Acting, and Attitude: Believe These Stories Or Don't - But I Betcha They're True.

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Well, At Least I'm Getting Quoted

...In the UK, of all places. I'm going global.

I'm actually rather delighted. I was going to post on his blog to thank him for quoting me, even if in not the most pleasant light (but then again, I think most readers know that my blog is partially written in a humorous, if snarky and nasty, spirit), and to take what I say with a grain of salt, unless I make myself clear that what I'm talking about is very important to me.

But back to my glint of stardom. Stuart Walton, in an article entitled, All Authors Pens Are Poisoned, talks about the backbiting in the writing world; how authors, when reviewing others' works are almost as nasty as actors reviewing other actors: "...Since acting is by all accounts (and from my own distant memory) a famously bitchy profession, we can only shudder at the carnage that would be produced were its members to be given press passes to each other's new productions." (BitchyActress.com was linked to the "famously bitchy profession" part, and I was thrilled).

Let's face it...I have a sitemeter on here. I am as much of an attention whore as anyone else...and I'm also nosey. So, I was interested to see why I was getting all these hits from this link.

It's actually a very interesting article, for he also discusses the downside of being a writer; the way writing about others often can force one to almost become a socially retarded individual who can't quite deal with people on a normal level.

The same can be said, I think, though, for many people of various professions, not just writers. Take therapists. I have dated therapists and even people who have majored in Psychology in college or Grad School. For some reason, this seems to make these folks think they have a key into the labyrinth of your mind, and therefore, "understand you more than you understand yourself"...or some such nonsense. Or they think they are above any kind of emotional or mental issue themselves because they passed some classes...or because they treat patients. I'm here to tell you that some of the biggest whack-jobs are therapists and the folks who studied enough in school but who don't have the humility to say "You know what? I think maybe I might have a few issues of my own." I can't tell you the number of times I've wanted to throttle people who think that because they have a degree and read a few chapters about Pavlovian response, that suddenly they have the right to tell you what to do or how to deal with your feelings - but that they have no reason in the world to question theirs.

Sigh. Went on a rant...oh well. It's one of those days. That's what I get for schtupping a film editor who is really a tv writer who started out as a Psychology major. Go figure.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home